Friday, December 31, 2010

Thank You

"Finished" is never a word that a homeowner can use. On June 1st, we moved out of the temporary apartment, and began sleeping at our new house on San Pedro Lane. The next few months were spent de-cluttering, unpacking, packing, and arranging. When people ask me how the house is coming, I tell them that we are finally at a point that most normal homeowners reach, which is having a list of projects that don't necessarily need to be completed this minute. We still have to put in a closet door here, a window there, and fix a patio, deck, re-do the stairs...but we don't have to think about that now.

It feels great to have a house, but the feeling of accomplishment after completing so much work is more satisfying than can be described. I cannot say that I would do everything over again if I knew what lay ahead, but I can definitely say now that I am glad we went through what we did. This house was not built by me, but knowing almost every inch of the inside makes me feel like I did. I love that over the next few years, as Hiro and his sister, as well as other family and friends spend time here, almost everything they see, touch, or walk on, was acquired by, built, installed, or fixed by me or someone closeby either related or practically related.

With that in mind, here is a list of people who helped us get here, in no order, except for Larry and cousin Davey, who need to be at the top of the list. I wish I could include every single task, but everyone knows how much they helped!

--Larry Potts (and wife Megan, for putting up with all this!): I will never be able to properly acknowedge everything Larry contributed, from time, experience, tools, knowledge, resources including vehicles and music, to good company every day we worked together. We could not have done this without you, Larry!
--Cousin Davey, my 'big brother,' an expert in all things. If I had a "MacGyver" award to give, David would get it. Any question about ANYthing, and David has an answer. He knows it and can do it. We love you, Daveboy!
--My Dad, Papa Joe, and Mom, Julie, not only for some labor, but endless generosity of time, resources, and emotional support.
--Sampson, for working a wicked nail gun, and always keeping Larry and I entertained.
--My neighbors Dan, Marty, and Brian, for their time, tools, and expertise (plus the Friday bonfires!)
--My brother Mark; we fulfilled a lifelong dream of epic destruction while tearing down my walls, and we had fun building them back up.
--My sister Katie and her husband Mike; the way you two handled the disposal of the dry wall bags with the wheelbarrow would make any mafia boss happy to use you. Mike worked and worked, then worked some more--he did a little of everything. Also, Mike's parents let us use their van to move, which was crucial.
--My sister Lynn and her family, for labor, emotional support, and babysitting.
--THE UNGERS!!! Dave came over and helped out on some cold nights, and the family helped us move not once, but twice. You guys are the best.
--my co-worker and friend Ted, for making the drive from Olivette and painting with us while my house was freezing.
--"Oh My Gosh!" Josh, my good friend with impeccable timing, for showing up and getting some serious paint up downstairs when I needed it most.
--Nancy Linder, our realtor, who provided feedback and expertise on a number of areas.
--Molly and her family, for several key babysitting days.
--Uncle Dave, also for key babysitting days.
--Michiyo's sister Masae, for coming all the way from Kumamoto to help me measure the closets.
--Peggy's fiancee Nick, for plumbing expertise.
--Alex for dental work
--Dale for computer assistance
--George Carlin, Dennis Miller, Larry the Cable Guy, Eddie Izzard, Dr. Drew, Brad Paisley, and Ira Glass. Each of these entities made the time fly, and kept our mind off of choking on dry wall dust.
If I have forgotten anyone, I did not do it intentionally. Send me an email, or comment, and I will edit this to include you.
Most of all, of course, my family. Michiyo could not have been more patient and supportive the whole time, and Hiroki has enjoyed the ride, even when sleeping on a blanket on the unfinished floor downstairs while Mommy and Daddy painted. I love you, and I love living in our 'new' house together!

No comments: