Monday, November 17, 2008

Kumamoto Castle

Kumamoto City features the third largest castle in Japan. While we were here last time in 2006, the castle was undergoing renovations for the 400th anniversary celebration. So this afternoon visit allowed us to enjoy everything in newfound splendor.

This samurai guy enjoyed welcoming us inside.

Once inside, we carried our shoes around in plastic bags. I am kneeling seiza-style in front of a long room of tatami mats and sliding doors. Michiyo kept commenting how new everything smelled.
The new centerpiece of the renovations, we had heard, was the "Golden Room," and it did not disappoint.
While we were expecting EVERYTHING to be in gold, that was not the case. However, the art o the doors, as well as the ceiling designs, were quite impressive.

To get to the top of the tower, Michiyo and I alternated carrying Hiroki and the stroller-plus-bags up six flights of stairs. The view was worth it.

In Japanese, the word for castle is "Jyo." When introducing myself to Japanese people, I often tell them, "My name is Joe," and after that registers, I add, "Kumamoto Joe." This play on words, for seven years now, has always elicited a huge laugh. I definitely ended up in the right city.

No comments: